Thursday, March 8, 2007

Everything is Connected

For some reason, I never got around to seeing Syriana last year. I finally corrected that oversight last night and am very glad that I did. As political potboilers go, this one is wound pretty tight, and it reminds me of Oliver Stone’s JFK with those mounting feelings of unease and dread that maintain a stranglehold til the final fade-out.

Looking back, I’m surprised it was not in the running for more awards at Oscar time, especially Original Score and Editing; but then again those categories were already crowded with strong contenders. Clooney, although quite good, doesn’t really merit his accolades for this one (I’d give him gold for Out of Sight or Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? before Syriana). If I’m not mistaken, this was Stephen Gaghan’s first time out as director; for a freshman feature it is remarkably assured, well-paced, and balances its large cast and multiple storylines quite masterfully.

Not a great movie. But a very good one (and thank God for closed-captioning which made possible an easy appreciation of the topsy-turvy plot). Matt Damon and Alexander Siddig are stand-outs. Ditto, as always, Chris Cooper. And Captain Von Trapp smacks his chops with villainous glee.

No comments: