Saturday, January 19, 2008

The one that got away

Every year, in the final throes of Oscar madness, there's always that one movie that still burns bright in my memory and I wonder why it's not a contender. (And no, for once, believe it or not, I am not talking about Atonement.)

I refer instead to Zodiac, David Fincher's brooding and brazen crime thriller about the notorious serial killer who terrorized San Francisco in the 1960's and 70's. It's just as nerve-wracking as No Country for Old Men and equally well-acted, with Robert Downey Jr guaranteed -- or so I thought -- an Oscar nomination for his performance as reckless and on-the-brink crime reporter. Yet, it hasn't appeared as a favorite on very many year-end polls. Don't blame it on the violence, not in the year of Old Men and Eastern Promises (and that's just for starters).

I know, I know: there's always a reason. But I can figure this one out. If you haven't seen it yet, add it now to your Netflix queue. Now. It's not easy to watch, but there is plenty to admire.

And while we're on the subject of movies you don't want to watch alone in the dark... here's a big happy birthday wish to the great Tippi Hedren, star of, in my opinion, still the most wonderfully creepy movie ever made.



No comments: