Wednesday, January 9, 2008

See this movie. Right now.


So, one of the year’s very best movies hit the shelves at Blockbuster this week.

And I don’t mean Joshua.

I refer, of course, to James Mangold’s thrilling western yarn 3:10 to Yuma. How Mangold, editor Michael McCusker and that terrific company of actors have been routinely overlooked during this awards season is truly surprising. It’s easily in my top five of 2007 thus far and will no doubt remain there even after I catch the few remaining must-sees that have yet to open here. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale were both, in my obviously misguided appreciation, candidates for Oscar nominations. Ben Foster easily gave one of the best, most compelling supporting performances of the year and Peter Fonda, in an extended cameo, was equally good.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for really good westerns which for the most part have always been snubbed in awards circles and top ten lists. (Trust me, there’s more to the genre than just The Searchers which –dare I say it? – is overrated.)

No comments: