Sunday, January 11, 2009

A “Slumdog” sweep? Not likely, if you ask me. But then again, what do I know? I have given up trying to predict the Golden Globes. This year it is especially nerve-wracking given the Kate conundrum: will she clinch the supporting trophy for “The Reader” (which I still maintain is a leading performance….and the best of the year) and thus snatch the prize from the fabulous Penelope Cruz in what is truly a supporting turn? Or will Kate grab the glory in the leading actress race for “Revolutionary Road” (which those of us in the hinterlands have yet to see) and trump what many are predicting as a showdown between Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway? Will, Meryl, as perhaps a consolation prize, win instead in the musical/comedy category, when many of us agree that no matter how much we love Mamma Meryl, this should be Sally Hawkins’ prize?

Oh, it’s all too confusing. And a little bit maddening. The best consideration of who might win tonight can be be found here at AwardsDaily, courtesy of Daniel Kenealy. As always, there’s plenty of good reporting and chatter here, the very best go-to awards website, hosted with customary vigor and good humor by Sasha Stone. For what it's worth, I do believe that Best Picture/Drama will more than likely go to Benjamin Button or even The Reader and that Slumdog will take a much deserved Best Director for Danny Boyle. Let's just wait and see.

I do think it’s curious that The Dark Knight and Milk didn’t make it into the Drama category. And ditto directors Nolan and Van Sant. But then again, that’s what is so predictable about the Globes: their unpredictability.

So, rather than making any predictions this year, I’m simply going with my favorites among the nominees. If I were a member of the Hollywood Foreign Press, here’s how I would vote. Believe me, I don’t think this resembles tonight’s final outcome. Think of it more as my own appreciation of a few movies and performances that I really enjoyed.

PICTURE, DRAMA, The Reader
PICTURE, MUSICAL OR COMEDY, In Bruges
DIRECTOR, Danny Boyle
ACTOR, DRAMA, Sean Penn
ACTRESS, DRAMA, Meryl Streep (r/u: Cate Blanchett on a write-in ballot, far and away the best thing about the over-hyped Benjamin Button)
ACTOR, MUSICAL OR COMEDY, Colin Farrell or James Franco.
ACTRESS, MUSICAL OR COMEDY, Sally Hawkins
SUPPORTING ACTOR, Heath Ledger
SUPPORTING ACTRESS, Kate Winslet (should be lead, in my opinion. r/u: Penelope Cruz)
SCREENPLAY, The Reader
SCORE, Slumdog
SONG, The Wrestler

No comments: