Saturday, February 7, 2009


The scribes get honored this evening when the WGA announces its 2008 awards. Look for Simon Beaufoy and Dustin Lance Black to take the honors for “Slumdog” (adaptation) and “Milk” (original) respectively. I’m also predicting them as front-runners for the writing Oscars. At this point, any other choices would be a bit of surprise. For the past couple of years, WGA and Oscar winners have gone hand in hand; I see no reason why this won't continue (unless, of course, "Wall-E" manages to grab the Oscar over "Milk" on February 22nd. We'll see.)

On the small screen front, where are several more awards, I’d say that “Mad Men” is a strong and worthy contender, although I wouldn’t be upset if my favorite underdog, “Friday Night Lights” stole the spotlight. Comedy-wise, I still admire “The Office” over “30 Rock” but I’d say the safe money is on Fey and friends.

No comments: