Wednesday, January 24, 2007

DREAMGIRLS WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU (...but, then again...)

Whew. What a day. I won't even attempt an analysis of what it all means. For that, and so much more, click on over to Oscarwatch where the experts, pundits and about a million bloggers and posters have plenty to say. While there, be sure to read Dan Kenealy's great analysis of today's pandemonium.

Like everyone else, I am very surprised by the Dreamgirls, Condon, and Nicholson snubs. (I'm not a fan of the latter's performance in The Departed but still thought his nomination was a sure thing.) Likewise I am bit baffled by the shut-out of Volver in certain categories. I'll give myself a fast and humble pat on the back for predicting Eastwood over Dayton-Faris in the Best Directing category, but then I totally didn't give Greengrass a chance. (This is a worthy nomination, by the way, but already a real dark horse since his United 93 didn't get a BP nom.)

So I'll now be spending the next month catching up on the pile of movies that have all, at last, come to town (Notes, Letters, Pan, Little Children of Men, et al) and enjoying the build-up to Oscar night.

Did anyone watch the coverage on E! this morning? Am I the only person who cannot abide Giuliana? Did anyone see how she kicked her cohost Leo (who makes Billy Bush look like Walter Cronkite) out of the way so she could slobber all over Salma Hayek? I miss the old days. Where is Hedda Hopper when we need her? Or Rona Barrett?

As for Dreamgirls, it's loss of best picture and best director nominations must surely come as punch in the pants to many. But think about the many, many other movies, all better than this one, who were also snubbed (and didn't at least have eight nominations to soften the blow). We'll start with the obvious, like Vertigo and Some Like it Hot and The Searchers and then conclude with a nod to one of the greatest movies of the past ten years, Far From Heaven.

The Academy's failure to salute Todd Haynes' masterpiece is just plain stupid. I've already complained about this in a previous post, so I'll not go down that road again.
Let's change the subject and end this little entry with happy birthday wishes to the great, the one and only Chita Rivera. West Side Story, Bye Bye Birdie, Chicago, The Rink, Spider Woman, Nine...my goodness. And the list goes on. And I even saw her in Merlin.



2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I was just plain shocked by the omission of Dreamgirls from the Best Picture slate .. It wasn't the best movie of last year, but it left me with a big smile on my face, and sometimes I just don't ask for much more than that .. the best movie I saw in 2006, however, was Children of Men, so I highly recommend you catch up with that one

Anonymous said...

Blizzard warnings were issued in place of parts of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin as snow socked the states in tandem with breeze gusts topping 45 miles (72 kilometers) per hour.
The storm -- 10 days sooner than the onset of winter -- took its greatest toll in Minnesota, where as much as two feet (61 centimeters) of snow had fallen in some locations, according to the Inhabitant Live through Secondment (NWS).
The state's largest new zealand urban area Minneapolis was junior to a blanket of white 17 inches (43 cm) mysterious, the worst snowfall to bat the urban district in more than 19 years and the fifth-biggest on record.
As an gauge of the storm's mercilessness, Minneapolis-St. Paul Ecumenical Airport -- a traversing pivot with know-how in contending with venal rise above -- was screen down exchange for the first one day in years.