Monday, January 29, 2007

What Becomes A Legend Most?

The SAG awards pretty much rolled out as predicted. No big surprises in the movie categories- which certainly would have livened things up a bit - but we have worthy winners in all five slots. Whether this latest victory puts LMS in the lead for Oscar's best picture, I have no idea. Lots of pros and cons on this topic can be found everywhere this morning.

I would prefer to focus, instead, on the two real highlights (for me, anyway). First, the prolonged ovation given to the greatest TV ensemble ever and my own favorite program of all time: The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Not even the best comedies on the tube today -- Scrubs, The Office, Weeds -- can hold the proverbial candle to this great company of actors. I just wish a clip reel had accompanied their all-too-brief appearance on stage.

The other sparkling moment for me was the tribute to my beloved Julie Andrews.
However, one small quibble: although it didn’t surprise me at all, given the success of The Princess Diaries franchise, that Anne Hathaway started the presentation, couldn’t they have done a little better? I mean Carol Burnett was right there, for crying out loud.

Where’s Charmian Carr when you need her ?

Anyway, we all have our big screen crushes. Mine has always been Dame Julie.
It began when, as a sensitive lad of seven, I sobbed uncontrollably at the end of Mary Poppins. Why did she have to leave Jane and Michael? Couldn’t she stick around a little longer? Obviously not, because she had to go get ready to play surrogate mother to another bunch of lucky urchins, the Von Trapps. Three years later, I was finding comfort in my rather rocky adolescence by standing in front of the mirror and lip-synching the entire soundtrack of Star! or pretending to be John Gavin (or Carol Channing) to her thoroughly modern Millie.

I lose all credibility with film snobs when I mention that The Sound of Music is one of my top five movies. Listen, I can debate the merits of Vertigo or Wild Strawberries with the best of ‘em, but there is nothing in the vaults of Tinsel Town that makes me happier than that glorious, widescreen confection. Something good, indeed.

No comments: