Thursday, January 11, 2007

.......Still, Someone Said She's Sincere


The lovely Yvonne De Carlo died this week at the age of 84. I suppose it was inevitable, but did we really need headlines such as "Munster Mom Dies"? Let's not forget all of her other achievements, including marvelous work in so many movies, including of course her Sephora in The Ten Commandments (ok, so she didnt' get to camp and vamp like Vincent Price, Anne Baxter and Nina Foch, but she still grabbed fifth billing in a cast of thousands.)

And let's all remember that she was the first Carlotta in the original Broadway company of Follies. She was the first to sing and record "I'm Still Here," Sondheim's great survival ballad brayed, bellowed and yodeled by every aging chorine from Elaine Stritch to Nancy Walker. But she sang it first. I have always loved the photo (see above) of De Carlo with Follies co-stars Alexis Smith and Dorothy Collins. It's from an issue of Time right after the show opened on Broadway. I was 14 years old when I saw it. Winter Garden Theatre. Saturday matinee. It's something I will never forget.

1 comment:

shelley said...

So glad you make this point, Tim.

I had a similar thought when I saw the headlines...though, unlike you, I had NO idea all of the other things she had accomplished.

Now I'll have to check out her other works.

"The Munsters" had to be a low point.

Nice blog (I also left a comment on your post about the GG).

Hope all is well.