Friday, January 19, 2007

Friends, Romans, Etc.

It's been a crazy week, with too much time spent in front of the small screen. Looking past the gunk and grime of the Idol return and the disappointment of Dirt, not to mention a perfectly mesmerizing repeat of Deal or No Deal featuring a so-in-need-of-medication soccer mom who made strange barnyard noises during her short-lived quest for a family fortune, there were, thankfully, some highlights.

In addition to Season 2 of Ricky Gervais' marvelous Extras (kicking off with a surprisingly very funny turn by Orlando Bloom), I finally caught Matthew Vaughn's Layer Cake which only fuels my this-close-to-obsessive fascination with Daniel Craig. I admit this freely because, let's face it, I'm not alone. Violent, darkly funny, and way too aware of itself in spots, it's definitely a must-see crime caper worthy of the good press it got a year or so ago.

And the return of Rome offered plenty of reasons to feast on Sunday night's episode and go back quickly for seconds. This has got to be the best company of actors on television. And although the two leading ladies may never quite reach the pinnacle of stylish and bravura bitch-goddessdom defined by the brilliant Sian Phillips in I, Claudius, both Polly Walker and the divine Lindsay Duncan returned in full force as the eternal city's answer to Krystal and Alexis. I do hope they have a tussel in a lily pond, or the Trevi Fountain, before this season is over. The Vorenus-Pullo storyline is already darker than dark and, at last, James Purefoy's Anthony appears to be moving front and center of the action, after a first full season in which he spent most on screen time just brooding around Atia's boudoir. This second and, alas, final season has lots of promise.

It's very reassuring to me, in these not so cheery times, how many blogs have been giving above-the-fold coverage to sweet TR Knight's admittedly inarticulate and mildly befuddled response to Ellen's questions about the ongoing nastiness with Isaiah Washington. I mean, it's everywhere, from the usual Tinsel Town websites to those, um, other cyberspace destinations that usually focus on naked lumberjacks or hidden-camera locker room shenanigans. Anyway, kudos to Dame Degeneres for the interviews (ok, it maybe got a wee bit mutual-admiration-society towards the end, but why quibble?) Given the several celebrity coming-outs this past season, not to mention those adorable wedding pictures of John Barrowman and Scott Gill, I must admit I'm glad this one is getting so much air time. It's too bad the root of this is hate-speak but it's a good thing that Washington, who just can't seem to keep his big mouth shut, won't be allowed to walk away from this. Although fodder for tabloids, this and other "news" items can only help a lot of that younger generation currently grappling with sexual identity. I mean, I wish I had a Rosie or an Ellen while growing up. The best I could hope for was a juicy exchange between Mike Douglas and Zsa Zsa Gabor. (Yes, that explains so much. I know.)

This brings me to another clip, one that didn't get much of a replay. Or if it did at the time, I just missed it. It's our own little Doogie singing the confrontation scene from LES MIZ with his How I Met Your Mother cast mate Jason Segel on Megan Mullally's gab fest. I've liked Neil Patrick Harris for years, and, ok, he's about as butch as Felix Unger on the current show, but so what? I'll always be a fan because he recorded the best rendition of Sondheim's Evening Primrose ever. Yes, I know, Mandy did one with Bernadette, but it's over-wrought and hammy and I've never been a big MP fan, but this always comes up with anything about Sondheim, so I just have to say that and get back to where I started. Whew. OK, so check out Primrose; he's got a great voice that suits this heartbreakingly lovely mini musical. But back to this clip. I think it's hilarious. Judge for yourself.
And now, in closing, the doubly devilish, doubly delicious Livia:





No comments: